28 Motivational Quotes from Top Traders
Trading is a lot like riding a roller coaster. Although it obviously is fun and exciting, there will be times when you feel scared, nervous or even powerless. When these bad times come, it’s important to not panic or give up. One excellent thing to do during these troubling times is read some motivational quotes from traders who have been in your shoes and know the path to success.
Here are 28 motivational quotes that will help keep you focused and on the path to successful trading…
1. “Money is made by sitting, not trading.” – Jesse Livermore
2. “Throughout my financial career, I have continually witnessed examples of other people that I have known being ruined by a failure to respect risk. If you don’t take a hard look at risk, it will take you.” – Larry Hite
3. “Letting losses run is the most serious mistake made by most investors.” – William O’Neil
4. “[Michael Marcus – another top trader] taught me one other thing that is absolutely critical: You have to be willing to make mistakes regularly; there is nothing wrong with it. Michael taught me about making your best judgement, being wrong, making your next best judgement, being wrong, making your third best judgement, and then doubling your money.” – Bruce Kovner
5. “That cotton trade was almost the deal breaker for me. It was at that point that I said, ‘Mr. Stupid, why risk everything on one trade? Why not make your life a pursuit of happiness rather than pain?’” – Paul Tudor Jones
6. “The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
7. “When I get hurt in the market, I get the hell out. It doesn’t matter at all where the market is trading. I just get out, because I believe that once you’re hurt in the market, your decisions are going to be far less objective than they are when you’re doing well… If you stick around when the market is severely against you, sooner or later they are going to carry you out.” – Randy McKay
8. “Frankly, I don’t see markets; I see risks, rewards, and money.” – Larry Hite
9. “When I became a winner, I said, ‘I figured it out, but if I’m wrong, I’m getting the hell out, because I want to save my money and go on to the next trade.’” – Marty Schwartz
10. “I always define my risk, and I don’t have to worry about it.” – Tony Saliba
11. “The key to trading success is emotional discipline. If intelligence were the key, there would be a lot more people making money trading… I know this will sound like a cliché, but the single most important reason that people lose money in the financial markets is that they don’t cut their losses short.” – Victor Sperandeo
12. “I think investment psychology is by far the more important element, followed by risk control, with the least important consideration being the question of where you buy and sell.” – Tom Basso
13. “If I have positions going against me, I get right out; if they are going for me, I keep them… Risk control is the most important thing in trading. If you have a losing position that is making you uncomfortable, the solution is very simple: Get out, because you can always get back in.” – Paul Tudor Jones
14. “I learned early that there is nothing new in Wall Street. There can’t be because speculation is as old as the hills. Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again. I’ve never forgotten that.” – Jesse Livermore
15. “Learn to take losses. The most important thing in making money is not letting your losses get out of hand.” – Marty Schwartz
16. “The desire for constant action irrespective of underlying conditions is responsible for many losses in Wall Street even among the professionals, who feel that they must take home some money every day, as though they were working for regular wages.” – Jesse Livermore
17. The goal of a successful trader is to make the best trades. Money is secondary.” – Alexander Elder
18. “I have learned through the years that after a good run of profits in the markets, it`s very important to take a few days off as a reward. The natural tendency is to keep pushing until the streak ends. But experience has taught me that a rest in the middle of the streak can often extend it.”– Marty Schwartz
19. “I’ll keep reducing my trading size as long as I’m losing… My money management techniques are extremely conservative. I never risk anything approaching the total amount of money in my account, let alone my total funds.” – Randy McKay
20. “In this business if you’re good, you’re right six times out of ten. You’re never going to be right nine times out of ten.” -Peter Lynch
21. “What seems too high and risky to the majority generally goes higher and what seems low and cheap generally goes lower.” -William O’Neil
22. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” – Warren Buffett
23. “In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.” – Robert Arnott
24. “I’m always thinking about losing money as opposed to making money. Don’t focus on making money, focus on protecting what you have” – Paul Tudor Jones.
25. “If you personalize losses, you can’t trade.” – Bruce Kovner
26. “Don’t focus on making money; focus on protecting what you have.” – Paul Tudor Jones
27. “Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected. “– George Soros
28. “It’s critical for the crocodile to understand its prey and to know where to look for it and remain calm and patient until it arrives. As traders, we have to know what our trading edge looks like and where to look for it and then control ourselves enough to not over-trade before it arrives. “- Nial Fuller
Do you know of any other good motivational trading quotes? Leave a comment and let me know.
P.S. If you’re looking for professional trading advice and guidance click here
39 Comments Leave a Comment
Your Article is very Good. Due to your article we get more information and knowledge. Your article is very usefull. ue to your article we get solutions how to perform pages. So keep it up. God Bless you.
Great Nial. I was greatly inspired by these quotes and hope someday, I can inspire others too just like you.
Intelligence Doesn’t Exit In Forex
It’s All About Emotion Disciplane
“Profitable Trading is a quest in which the hero is fighting himself.” DH
It’s the battle of the mind fought by candles and not machines.
Alexander Elder’s comment has been one that has stayed true to my thinking. It has lodged itself into my brain and every time I’m tempted to “GET ON BOARD BEFORE MY SETUP”…. I have learned to pause, then ask if this trade is ready? And many times price moves through the “perceived” demand zone to find the lower and true demand.
The other more recent comment I have found to be true is this…”Dont be a dick head & diddle in the middle! ” I now have this one on all my charts.
Thanks Nial, for the awesome quotes. I often think a small desktop spiral calendar for traders with a quote for the day from all these wizards would be very beneficial in nailing home the psyche for many of us.
I hope youre all improving, growing, and mastering in what it means to be a giver! And just a side note for any newbies, check out Keyser Soze, Sam Seiden, Brendon Wendell, all found on utube.
Thanks again Nial….
Jim Paul said “If you dont mind being wrong on the way to being right youre gonna learn alot!”
Thanks Nial for those quotes. but i always tell myself ” WHEN YOU LOSE, DON’T LOSE THE LESSON”.
Though Bruce Lee was not a trader, I feel he understood simplicity. He once said “I don’t fear a man who has practiced a thousand kicks once but rather, I fear a man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.” Like forex, mastering one strategy at a time increases ones chance of Success. Thanks Nial for your mentor
Yes, this is one of my favorite sayings from Bruce, and now I see how it can apply to trading.
I really needed this article. You did it again Neil, thanks
As always inspired
in the trade I tried various indikator.I make an adventure and thought it would get a profitable trading techniques that other people do not think about it. the result today I get a hefty profit, the next day I get a greater loss, I am stop and I think to leave forex because it can not get real money. This is not the future that I want.I re-open an email from nial fuller who have not had time to read, I see a positive thing to have in mind a trader.if see the market has two sides profit and loss when a profit then we are happy and loss we sed.its wrong and it’s a gamble. should see the market which has 2 moment, prices go up and prices down so you can take profit and not forgetting risk control. price action already tell it. thanks niall fuller and thanks for all traders.
Very good Nial and you are true fuller!
I think of:
Mind the Gap.
Location, Location, Location…
Education, Education, Education…
Practice, Practice, Practice..
Be humble – a star, not a stud or stallion
Great call Nial.!
Thanks always Nial. “Plan the trade, trade the plan”. “Better money missed than money lost”. “The market will always be there”. “All we can control is risk”. “Location, location, location”. “Price is the ultimate indicator”…and the “60/40 win/loss” concept you teach too. Be well!
Thanks for these quotes.They will always be a sort of guides.
Thanks Nial for sharing the helpful quotes!
“Your next trade is the most important trade of your life” … Remember that always
Good stuff Nial’s, there all great quote’s should read every day,
I have this little saying on my Computer screen.
“Make Every Effort To Trade Your Edge – Then Learn To Trade It Effortlessly.”
Vancouver, BC Canada
It is very insructive. A great lesson to me. THANKS A LOT
Very good quote and motivation on every side, what I observe in trading is that we have a lot of noise maker if you listen to them you will miss your way, therefore trade with your chart not rumour.trend is your friend,when you loss learn ,when you win don’t forget !
Trade only if you can control yourself and be One with the market.
thank you Nial. your quote is summarizing all.
Replying to bc question: difference between 24 and 26 is -2 … :)
Thanks Nial, this will definitely improve our trading.
Discipline!! Trade the plan
If you don’t start trading, you”‘ll never get in.
is only an ingrate or sb that hate truth that wont appreciate one when he sees it. this articles pointed it out
1. self control
2. acceptance of what you are seeing not holding losses because of what you fees
3. value what is at hand more than what your guts tells you is coming
4. very importantly by Nial himself, get a way to enter and exit. if you had gotten it, wait for it. before it comes no trade. if you still miss it i.e after it comes no trade. ( patience) . in all am grateful let me add sth. to avoid over trading get involved with discussing with other traders about your winning method without the intension of exploiting them. for me i come and read Nial articles and get my self ready to be named one of the pro in History. my name has also entered History as the world best trader in march with hotforex. All Glory to God who gives wisdom and thanks to Nial who has freely motivated those of us that knows what we gain from this site.
Hi Nial, great trading quotes. Here is another one :
“TRADE WHAT YOU SEE,…. NOT WHAT YOU THINK”
That’s a good one
Outstanding! A brilliant collection of quotations. Thank you for sharing Nial! Discovering your work is one of the best things that has happened for me in my career as a money manager. Thank you very much and keep up the great work that you are doing!
Thanks for your untiring desire to make a better trader out of everyone that comes in contact with your blog.
Love the guy in #28 mate ;-)
Great post, thanks Nial, an inspiration for traders new and old.
Thank you Nial. I am going to paste in my trading room.
Manage the risks and the profits will take care of themselves.
If you cant take a loss, sooner or later you will take the mother of all losses.
Hey I don’t get what the difference between 24 and 26 is ?
Very nice quotes Nial. Thank you :)